If I'm being generous with myself, I could say I'm a fairly organized person. I used to work as a visual merchandiser and that has rubbed off a lot in my daily life. My shower products all face label out, my books are color coded, my necklaces hang on hooks separated by style- bohemian, vintage, etc. But in all my years on the planet I have never been able to keep an organized bag. For some reason, when I'm out and about, it's a complete free-for-all. Receipts, makeup, loose change all form a tight gang deep in the depths of my bag. I was thinking about this need to change my bag lady ways when that very day I saw this post on Cupcakes & Cashmere and also had a meeting with a woman who was using the same exact method: a bag for inside of your bag. A clutch or makeup bag that holds all of the essentials that you need that can just be transferred to whatever bag you're carrying that day. Not only does this eliminate the dreaded ringing phone scavenger hunt, it also keeps the inside of your bag impeccably clean and makes it really easy to swap bags daily.
Here's what I'm keeping in mine...
1. The perfect lip trifecta- chapstick, lipstick, and lip gloss. A chapstick for emergency moisture (and preferably some SPF, like the Baby Lips above) and some color to easily go from day-to-night. I personally like a nude/pink lipstick (Airy Fairy from Rimmel is my favorite) and a bright gloss (like this Boots Lip Glace in Jelly Bean) to have a range of color options.
2. Concealer- for emergency touch-ups.
3. Tampons- because whether you or someone else needs them, you'll never regret that you had a couple in your bag.
4. Band-Aids- perfect for a pair of blistery shoes or a screaming kid.
5. Gum or Mints- because if you don't have them it's practically guaranteed you'll find yourself in close quarters with garlic breath, and nobody comes out a winner in that situation.
6. Pain Reliever- for me, migraines usually occur when I'm out and about, surrounded by noise and fluorescent lighting. And again, it's always good to be able to share with a friend in need.
7. Protein Bar- being gluten-free, it's not always easy to find a snack on the go. Plus it's good to be prepared because if you wait to snack until you're starving, your decisions aren't usually at their best. Kind, Luna Protein, and Zone Perfect bars are some of my favorites.
8. Bobby Pins and Hair Elastics- I'd love to tell you about how my hair stays the way I fixed it all day and never expands into a wild lion's mane but that, my friends, would be a lie. Basic blonde bobby pins and black Scunci hair ties are must-haves.
9. Travel-sized Fragrance- a roller ball perfume is a good way to feel fresh (and generally more dressed up) fast. Philosophy Pure Grace is my all-time favorite fragrance, but even the free samples from the fragrance counters would work great.
10. Lotion and Hand Sanitizer- keeping your hands moisturized and germ-free is never a bad thing. My hands seem to be native to the Sahara Desert and need a TON of moisture. Aveeno, in my opinion is the best brand for the job. And you can't beat Bath & Body Works endless amount of fragrance options. Not to mention both of these cost between $1-$2.
*Bonus: an ultra-fab clutch to store your essentials (mine, seen here, is from Stella & Dot).
So there you have it! All you have to do is gather your essentials into a cute small bag, throw it in you bag with your wallet, keys, and phone, and you're good to go! No more digging endlessly for your lip gloss or throwing off your outfit because you don't have time to swap out everything in your purse.
But now tell me, what's in your essentials kit? Tell me what I'm missing in the comments sections!
Plus, it's that time again to spread the positive vibes with Buttons and Birdcages' Link up the Love! Here's a few of my favorite folks this week!
1. My dad has been through more stress than most people can handle in the past several years, but he never lets it get him down. He has the most upbeat and generous personality of anyone I've ever known. I hope I have even some of that in me. :)
2. A woman at work tried a pretty dramatic new haircut and it looks so good! I know she was nervous about it which makes me even more happy for her.
3. I can't imagine it's always fun to work at a grocery store, but the people at my local Kroger are always so nice. I want to make it a point to give more positive customer comments at all of my regular stops.
Have some love to share? Feel free to add your own in the comments or through the link-up!